Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Owls' school mail project

I saw this post on Viva Snail Mail, about a 2nd grade class collecting letter/postcards. It looks like a lot of fun! I just wrote a postcard to mail out tomorrow for them.

The 2nd grade class (the Owls) are studying the Post Office and how communication has evolved over the years. This touches on a lot of academic subjects: (math, geography, writing and community based learning). It would be great if you could send a post card to the class from where ever you may be. Or forward this email on to friends and family from all over the world asking them to send the Owls letters and postcards. We’ll read the letters together, find the location on the map, and place them on the bulletin board outside our door (so make sure they’re 2nd grade appropriate!)
This is the teacher’s 5th year doing this project and the kids just love it. They have set up a running post office in the classroom that is student led. Each day different children take turns acting as the mail carrier, mail sorter and cashier while other students write letters. Stamps cost 6 cents and prices go up regularly. Each student has their own set of money to buy stamps with. Eventually we’ll open the post office up to the whole school.If you would like to participate please send letters, postcards to:
Children’s Day School
Ms. Amy and Ms. Daniela (The Owls)
333 Dolores St.
San Francisco, CA 94110
 
When I was little, probably about their age, I remember delivering 'mail' to my family. I had a bag that I carried around with letters in it.  I would use junk mail envelopes, and put little notes inside, or collect notes from family members to be delivered. I used stickers as stamps; I specifically remember some square Barbie ones I had...

No comments:

Post a Comment