Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Antique/vintage postcards and prints

Last minute, we spent the weekend in Savannah, GA. My great-aunt lives there, and we hadn't seen her in about 10 years. Before we left, I got this postcard in the mail from Patrick in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
They don't have the "Aqua Follies" anymore, and the structure is long since gone (although there is a smaller version of it as a playground). There is said to be a time capsule from the 1950's at the bottom of the lake that he hopes to dig up one day. How cool is that? He also said that at his wedding (it's his 6-month anniversary) they used old Minneapolis postcards as invitations!

On the same subject of old postcards, while we were in Savannah we found a store, V. & J. Duncan, that sells antique maps, prints, and books. In a back corner they also have a big file cabinet of postcards! To give you an idea of what the store looked like, here is their postcard/business card.

I could have stayed there for hours! My mom and my sister each bought a print...

 I bought a few postcards. I don't think I can part with all of them, though!



I love the first one, it's adorable! The middle two I thought were funny, and the last one I just liked. I think it's a scene from China, the writing on it looks Chinese.

6 comments:

  1. Old prints are a lot of fun. I wonder if all letter writers love them. Nice blog, I just found you tonight. Keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fun, although I had never realized how much! Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. :) I was so excited looking through all their postcards! I just wish the store was closer than a 5 hour drive!

      Delete
  3. Wow! Beautiful all of them! *w*

    ReplyDelete