Sunday, February 5, 2012

Puerto Rico

So today (I guess actually yesterday, but I picked it up today) I got a letter from Willmari in Puerto Rico!
She sent me some cute temporary tattoos with her letter!

My dad's family is from Puerto Rico, so that makes it especially interesting for me. I went there once when I was a baby, so I don't remember it. Anyway, I've never quite gotten the relationship between Puerto Rico and the United States, besides that it was a territory. But what exactly does that mean? According to Wikipedia (and correct me if I'm wrong), Puerto Rico elects their own governor, and has their own constitution (which was approved by the US in 1952). They also have a nonvoting delegate in the US congress. People residing in Puerto Rico can vote in the primaries, but cannot vote in the presidential elections. Anyway, I thought this was kind of interesting, hopefully it's not too boring to you! I'm wasn't really sure how I should list Puerto Rico on my map, because it isn't a state, but it also isn't quite its own country. It costs the same to send a letter or postcard to Puerto Rico as to any US state. I think I will list it under countries though...

6 comments:

  1. Hello! My name is David. I'm from Poland. Can I send you letter? ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course! I welcome letters from everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know postage was the same. :)

    And thanks for leaving the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Olivia:

    Puerto Rico is a US Non-corporated Territory, as Guam and US Virgin Islands. In those islans, US Postal Service is in charge of the mail service. If you want to know more about Puerto Rico and your idiosincracy (your roots), your father and grandparents by your father will help to discover the fascinating culture and the most precious scenary (landscapes).

    Thanks for the oportunity to visit your blog. I really enjoy and learning with it.

    Regards,

    Carlos M. Maldonado
    Physical Education Teacher
    Vega Alta, Puerto Rico

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I'm glad you enjoy reading it, thanks for looking!

      Delete